Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Heart of Plimsouls Still Beatin'




No shit. I went to bed last night at 3:30 a.m., and as I lay there drifting off, I had a very vivid dream that I got knuckle tattoos that said: |H|U|E|Y| |L|E|W|I|S| Needless to say, I was a very sad panda (or human being I guess) when I awoke to look at my knuckles only to see that they were still untouched by holy words. We will talk more about my affinity for Huey one day. That may take awhile though.

Lately since I've been on my death bed, only get to sit in front of the computer sick, I have had time to rediscover music in ways that I haven't since the olden days of horse drawn buggies and Napster.

I tapped into a genre well that I have never quite played around in before, and that would be Mod/Pop/Punk mainly from the 70s and early 80s, and music started to spray all over me. It's been an overwhelming yet delightful experience, regardless, I don't even know how to start jumping for joy. For when I find one HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING BAND! all of a sudden, another one crops up. It's like I have lice, but the doctor assured me that it's just a lot of bands thank God.

Say what?? There is more out there than just The Ramones and The Sex Pistols? Don't get me wrong, those bands are great too and they were a definite staple of the punk scene, but telling people you like them is like telling people that Jay-Z is your favorite when you claim that rap music is your bag.

Generally most things that I have been drawn to have been out of the UK, Scotland, Australia, etc. But I recently came upon the Plimsouls, and Lord knows, I have listened to this song 3,000 times. I am pretty sure my house's ears are bleeding right now. But it's so solid. It's so tight. It's so rockin', It's just a little over two minutes. You know those songs. They leave you longing for more. You rinse, lather, and repeat. Over and over. It's called The Zero Hour.

The Plimsouls were formed by Peter Case who had been in the Nerves prior, another band I have been drooling all over. The Nerves by the way were the OG writers of the now infamous Blondie song, "Hanging On The Telephone." Again, more on that later. These guys ar also, bless their I love their little souls, from L.A.!

Enough! Put some socks on and prepare to have them rocked off and listen to this bitch already! I have three times thus this morning.

No comments: